KubeRocker Pro Newsletter
October 11, 2017 - Issue 1
New Book: "Kubernetes: Up and Running"
Heroku Now Supports Docker Images
New Docker Certification
--chown option to ADD/COPY build commands
Docker Hub Updates
Highlights: Workload Diversity, Extensibility, Security Improvements, Cluster Stability, Service Automation
DNS Vulnerability in Kubernetes 1.5.0 - 1.7.6
If you're using Google Container Engine, this has already been patched for you.
Prevent Vulnerabilities in Production with Anchore
While Docker hobbyists often ignore basic security, that's not an option for professionals working with production systems.
Anchore gives you the power to prevent critical vulnerabilities from putting your company at risk.
- Anchore Cloud — web app to discover and scan Docker Hub / ECR images for vulnerabilities
- Anchore Open Source Engine — service for security scanning images on-prem with CI/CD integrations
Featured Topic: Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Kubernetes: AWS vs Google Cloud Platform
Kubernetes on AWS Overview
Kubernetes on AWS with kops
6 Part Series by Igor Cicimov:
- Part 1: Kubernetes Cluster in AWS with kops
- Part 2: Kubernetes Applications and Services
- Part 3: Kubernetes Cluster External Services
- Part 4: Kubernetes Shared Storage with S3 backend
- Part 5: Kubernetes Shared Block Storage with External GlusterFS Backend
- Part 6: Kubernetes - Exposing External Services to Pods via Consul
Kubernetes on AWS with Ansible
Kubespray - deployable on AWS, GCE, Azure, OpenStack or Baremetal. Supported on Container Linux by CoreOS, Debian Jessie, Ubuntu 16.04, and CentOS/RHEL 7.
Kubernetes on AWS with CoreOS's Tectonic
Kubernetes vs Amazon ECS
In-Depth: Kubernetes vs Amazon ECS
Negative: Our Docker Nightmare on Amazon ECS
Positive: Rebuilding Our Infrastructure with Docker, ECS, and Terraform
(note: here's a comment from one of Segment's engineers with more details)
The pros/cons articles are a little dated (2016 and 2015), so you may want to check out the ECS updates to see what has been improved since then.
Keep your production expertise sharp.
Get the KubeRocker Pro Newsletter